- Oven temp- 375 degrees, Baking time- 25 minutes, Pan type- 9 inch square pan
- Preheat oven-grease your pan
- Cream shortening; add in the sugar gradually and cream well together.
- Add maple syrup a small amount at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and eggs, and beat the mixture vigorously.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder and add to the mixture alternately with the milk. Mix only enough to blend the flour.
- Stir in the chopped nuts and pour into prepared pan. Bake for suggested time.
- Bring syrup to boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter; add sugar and continue cooling until consistency is right for spreading. Frosting thickens as syrup cools.